“Our History is our Strength” is the national Women’s History Month theme for 2011.
2011 is also the centennial anniversary of the YWCA of South Hampton Roads. The ODU Libraries would like to take this month to promote and celebrate the YWCA which "has served as a source of strength to over a quarter million women and children in Hampton Roads." This Web site and a corresponding exhibit feature materials from the archives of the YWCA of South Hampton Roads which are held in Special Collections of the ODU Libraries.
YWCA: 1911 - 1961. Norfolk, VA: Young Women's Christian Association, 1961.
40-page history of the Young Women's Christian Association in Norfolk, Virginia from 1911-1916.
2009/2010 Annual Report for YWCA, South Hampton Roads.
The Papers of the YWCA of Hampton Roads. Special Collections and University Archives, Patricia W. and J. Douglas Perry Library, Old Dominion University Libraries, Norfolk, VA 23529.
Robertson, Nancy Marie. Christian Sisterhood, Race Relations, and the Ywca, 1906-46, Women in American History. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 2007. BV1340 .R58 2007
Spain, Daphne. How Women Saved the City. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2001. HQ1420 .S64 2001
Gerritsen Collection of Aletta H. Jacobs
Contains full text of books, pamphlets and periodicals reflecting the evolution of a feminist consciousness and the movement for women's rights. This collection was started in the late 1800's by Dutch physician Aletta Jacobs and her husband C.V. Gerritsen, and has since become the greatest single source for the study of women's history in the world. Sample item:
Moor, Lucy M. Girls of yesterday and to-day the romance of the Y.W.C.A. London: S.W. Partridge, [1911?]
Women and Social Movements in the United States, 1600-2000
Provides a wide variety of resources relating to the history of women in social movements in the United States. The collection includes the online version of "Notable American Women".
DATABASES for finding articles:
Gender Studies Database
Combines Women's Studies International and Men's Studies databases with the coverage of sexual diversity issues, providing the full spectrum of gender-engaged scholarship inside and outside academia. 1972 - present
Women's Studies International
Covers the core disciplines in Women's Studies to the latest scholarship in feminist research. Essential sources include: journals, newspapers, newsletters, bulletins, books, book chapters, proceedings, reports, theses, dissertations, NGO studies, Web sites & Web documents, and grey literature. 1972 - present
The Young Women's Christian Association is the oldest and largest women's membership association. It began in London in 1855 and first came to the United States in 1858. Although similar in name, the YWCA has no affiliation with the YMCA.
The YWCA was an independent movement that arose out of women's church groups as a way of making life better for other women. These first YWCAs provided boarding houses, skills training, recreation, and a social environment for single, working women. After World War II, the YWCA's emphasis shifted to the family -- mother and children. In 1946, the YWCA adopted an Interracial Charter. Its purpose became the empowerment of women and the elimination of racism.
Throughout the world YWCAs are in 122 countries serving 25 million women and their families. The YWCA has been at the forefront of most major movements in the United States as a pioneer in race relations, labor union representation, and the empowerment of women. There are nearly 300 YWCA associations nationwide employing about 15,000 staff members and utilizing 70,000 volunteers.
The YWCA of South Hampton Roads started as housing for working girls in 1893 -- "the Girls Home of Norfolk." In 1899, the Phyllis Wheatley YWCA began offering community services to African-American women. By 1911, the Central YWCA of Norfolk was officially chartered by the national YWCA.
Mrs. C. P. Shaw was the founding president of the Norfolk YWCA
Mrs. Laura E. Titus was the first president of the Phyllis Wheatley YWCA which was founded in 1899 and named for Phillis Wheatley, America's first African-American published poet and author. Located on Cumberland Street, they offered a residence hall for young women, job training, recreation programs, summer camp (Camp E.W. Young), youth clubs and critical social services. In 1925, the Wheatley YWCA and the Central YWCA began to collaborate.